Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Challenge: Find and Uncommon Bird and Observe

Date: October 2nd, 2016
Time: 1:30PM - 3:02PM
Weather Conditions: 55 degrees Fahrenheit, overcast, heavy mist, slight breeze
Location: Mount Auburn Cemetery - Ivy Path

I chose to go to Mount Auburn because I had heard that it was a good spot for birding, and it would also have bodies of water for another assignment. When I arrived at the cemetery I went into the Information Center and asked the gentleman there about good spots for watching birds. He told me to start by walking on Indian Ridge Path, and said that The Dell and Willow Pond were good for spotting aquatic birds. I saw and heard quite a few songbirds as I was walking along Indian Ridge Path, but they were too small to confidently identify without binoculars. I was feeling discouraged by this when I came across a comical gaggle of about ten turkeys foraging, sitting on gravestones, stretching out their wings, and chasing each other around. They did not mind my presence too much, but if I got too close one would let out a warning call and they would retreat together. They cooed softly to themselves as they pecked at the soil and ate dandelion greens, and I could not help but think of dinosaurs as they moved around. I have to admit that these turkeys lifted my spirits, but I was hoping to encounter a more uncommon bird species.


I was on my way to Halcyon Lake when I saw a woodpecker and pursued it up Ivy Path, trying to get a closer look. I lost sight of the woodpecker, but while searching the trees I was startled to discover a large owl sitting upon an oak limb. I was enchanted. It was awake and stared right at me as I began unpacking things from my bag. It did not move much unless there was a noise that caught its attention, and then its head would turn in that direction while its body remained in place. I could see that it had a white breast speckled with brown, pointed tufts of feathers on its head, and a prominent white "collar." I believed that it was a great horned owl, but I was hesitant to settle on that ID without a closer look.

I sat and watched it for quite some time, even though it rarely moved. It would occasionally look toward the sound of a bird or a loud child. At one point bluejays were making a bunch of racket and I was astonished to see a large hawk land right in front of me on a limb of the same oak tree that the owl occupied. I captured a video of it flying away and was really excited by my luck in seeing both an owl and a hawk. The commotion with the bluejays and hawk did not startle the owl from its position, so I decided that it was unlikely the he or she was leaving anytime soon. I rushed back to the Information Center, hoping that the gentleman I talked to would have a pair of binoculars that I could borrow. He did! I showed him the video of the hawk and he said that it was a red tailed hawk. I hurried back to where the owl was and watched it through the binoculars. It was most definitely a great horned owl. By the time I got the binoculars it was no longer awake (or at least it had its eyes closed), but I did not mind. I shared my luck with anyone who passed by.

Properties of Life:

* Obtains/uses energy - I am including this because the bird was at rest, so it was conserving energy. It makes sense that the owl was sedentary because they are nocturnal hunters.
* Responds to Changes in External Environments - The owl reacted to some of the sounds in the area, although little phased it.

I live in a rural area of Connecticut, so I often hear barred owls but have only seen one. Turkeys are all over the place at home, but they are not as fearless as they are here. I never imagined that I would see my first great horned owl so close to the city. The owl's presence in the cemetery was understandable, though. The grounds were practically swarming with chipmunks and squirrels, and I even saw one gopher. There is plenty of food and the nights at the cemetery are quiet because by then it is closed to the public.

I managed to take some photos with my phone through the binoculars. They are of terrible quality, but I am satisfied because they are clear enough for me to share. The owl was only a speck in an unaided photo, which I circled in red.

No comments:

Post a Comment